Skip to content

Minister Says Killings Won’t Terrorise Macedonia

May 8, 2012

Police Minister says a ‘mature society’ will not be paralyzed by such shocking acts as the recent killings of five people on the outskirts of Skopje.

Sinisa Jakov Marusic, Balkan Insight, 08.05.2012

 

Macedonian police minister Gordana Jankulovska | Photo by: AP/Boris Grdanoski

Macedonia’s Police Minister said the recent killings of five people on the outskirts of Skopje would not be allowed to paralyse ordinary life.

“We should never exclude the possibility of new attacks but Macedonian society has shown its maturity,” Gordana Jankulovska said, speaking on Police Day, May 7.

Police last week pressed murder and terrorism charges against five people for the crime. All were ethnic Albanians.

They say the men were “radical Islamists” intending to spread fear and undermine ethnic cohesion between Macedonians and the large ethnic Albanian minority.

Police say three of the alleged killers are behind bars. They have asked Interpol to help track down the other two.

Last week police detained 20 alleged radicals in relation to the killings and the courts later ordered detention for nine of them.

About 1,000 young ethnic Albanians protested on Friday in Skopje, saying Albanians were being unjustly framed as terrorists.

Police said they have not found the two automatic rifles and a pistol that they believe were used to kill the five victims near Skopje.

But they insist that even without them, they have other evidence to prove the guilt of the murder suspects in court.

The killings of the five on April 12 sharply raised ethnic tensions between Macedonians and Albanians after rumours spread that the killers were Albanians.

Police discovered the bodies of Filip Slavkovski, Aleksandar Nakjevski, Cvetanco Acevski and Kire Trickovski, on the northern outskirts of the capital at a popular fishing destination. All four were aged between 18 and 20. The body of 45-year-old Borce Stevkovski was a short distance away from the rest.

As part of an effort to boost public security in the capital, police on Monday switched on more than 100 cameras stationed at frequent traffic spots.

The cameras, part of a project dubbed “Safe City”, were installed in 2010 and 2011 but were standing idle until now because of lack of funds.

Advertisements
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: